Monday, June 14, 2010

“Floriography” 101-Part 2

A few weeks ago, I shared some interesting information about the meanings and significance of the colors of roses. Today, I have decided to share information about three other flowers/plants which are a little more obscure. I hope you find it as interesting as I did!

The first flower on my list is the Forget-Me-Not. It is usually a tiny blue flower with a white or yellow center, but there are over 90 species of Forget-Me-Nots, thus, many variations.


There is a bit of folklore surrounding this tiny little flower. It is said that while Adam was busy naming all of creation, this tiny little flower, fearing it would be missed, cried out, “Forget me not O Lord!” And God replied, “That shall be your name.” Another lengend suggests that when Adam and Eve had to leave the Garden of Eden, the little flower cried out, “Forget-Me-Not!” and has been called by that name ever since.
Regardless of how it got it’s name, the Forget-Me-Not is a symbol of remembrance. In Victorian times, it was a symbol of “faithful love”. Today it is often given on behalf of loved ones who have passed on.

The second flower on my list is the Water Lily. When I think of the Water Lily, I usually invision a lush tropical area with a pond full of Lily Pads floating around with these beautiful, colorful flowers. The Water Lily invokes a feeling of tranquility within me.
Upon researching this flower, I found that there are over 70 varieties, and that as well as being beautiful, they are very hearty. In fact, they are considered to be an invasive flower! Once they inhabit a body of water, it is very difficult to get rid of them! It almost makes me want to dig a pond on my property and fill it with Water Lilies so I can enjoy their beauty all of the time!
In the Flower Industry, Water Lilies signify eloquence. I’m thinking that the next time my daughters perform in a dance recital I might just give them some of these beautiful flowers!

And third on my list is Ivy. Now, you might be thinking to yourself, “Lysa, Ivy isn’t a flower!” Yes, I know that. But it is often used in the Floral Industry for it’s ornamental and green qualities. Some Ivy have berries which grow on them making them even more attractive to the eye. In Victorian times, Ivy was often given as a gift to a very close friend. It’s significance of true/strong friendship stands today.
In recent years Ivy has received some negative criticism because of its tendency to take over the area in which it grows. However, recent studies have shown that certain types of Ivy used in medical experiments actually kill cancer cells! Very interesting indeed!

I am finding that researching flowers is quite fun as well as interesting! I hope you’re enjoying all that I am sharing!

With warm and fragrant thoughts until next time,
Lysa

3 comments:

  1. Wow Tracey! What a neat blog-even with typos! AHAHA! Eek! I thought I got 'em all-oops!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I really apprciate your blog. Very informative and i love the history of these flowers. I'm getting married and i chose a flower that my dad gave to my mom when they first married , she still has it in a book and it was a forget me not, I had no idea of the meaning of that flower and now i think its a perfect choice thanks to you. I also want to incorporate the Lilly as it is the name of my childhood friend I love so dearly. Thank you. I look forward to reading more of your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you LuLu! So glad you enjoy the blog- and took the time to send us your thoughts.
    About the Forget Me Not, you may have a tough time finding it to use in your upcoming wedding.
    I think the best solution for you (depending on when your wedding is) is actually cut them fresh from the garden (or bedding plant, bought just for the occasion) and then have your florist add them to your bouquet using a little water tube. They are a very delicate spring flower- much like a violet.
    Let us know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete