Tuesday, May 18, 2010

“Floriography” 101-Part 1

Over the past couple of weeks, several people have come into Twigs and inquired about the meaning of certain flowers or rose colors. Not having all of the answers, I decided it would be fun, as well as wise, to do a little research about the subject.As we all know, the internet has a plethora of information and I was able to find many interesting facts about flowers. In fact, the amount of information available threatened to be overwhelming! Desiring to help our readers and not overwhelm, I decided that sticking with the basics would be the best way to go!
Starting with basic rose colors, I discovered that I was misinformed about a few! Now, that’s not to say they haven’t changed over the years. Flower meanings seem to follow certain trends, but there are some that have remained “tried and true” over the years. I wonder how your knowledge fairs!

Let’s begin…
Red Rose: Most commonly expresses love. The deeper red roses signify passion. A little less known fact is that red roses also signify recognition of success; congratulations.

White Rose: Signify innocence and purity and are often used in weddings. A little less know fact is that they also represent reverence and worthiness.

Pink Rose: Represent admiration and sweetness. I think of my daughters when I see pink roses. However, a deep pink colored rose represents gratitude and thankfulness.

Yellow Rose: Most often represents friendship and caring. However, if you know someone who is embarking on a new journey or “starting over”, yellow roses are perfect as they represent New Beginnings!

Peach Rose: Usually sent as an expression of gratitude but can also express sympathy.

Orange Rose: Enthusiasm and/or desire! After all, the two usually do go hand-in-hand!

Purple Rose: Deep admiration or love at first sight! When was the last time you received a purple rose? A deep purple rose also represents royalty.


Wow! I didn’t intend on devoting this whole note to roses, but it certainly turned out that way! Hence, “Part 1” in its title! Next time, I will spend a little bit of time talking about the meanings of many different flowers. I hope you enjoyed our bit about roses.

With warm and fragrant thoughts until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment