Monday, June 29, 2009

Florist Profile:Glenholme Florist in Beverely, East Yorkshire UK Part 2

In our previous blog post, Karen shared a little information about her town and it's history, In part 2 her training and wonderful accomplishments. (Karen pictured below with her husband,Ruarigh)

"I left school at 16, went to the local college for a year to do day release Floristry till I was old enough to go to The Welsh College of Horticulture for two years leaving with a Diploma in Floristry and Flower production with a Distinction pass. As part of the course I did a work placement for 6 months at Shirleys, in Harrogate, North Yorkshire, UK. On completion of my course I then ventured to the US for four months work experience at Flowers Wayne Jones, Virginia Beach, Virginia.
Upon returning from the US I returned to work in the family business where I have been ever since. I went on to obtain my ICSF (Intermediate Certificate of the Society Of Floristry) then my NDSF ( National Diploma of the Society of Floristry) with distinctions. This is the highest floristry qualification in the UK which I achieved in 1992, quite an achievement at that age (23).
"After gaining my qualifications I trained and eventually became an examiner for the Society of Floristry and for three years taught Floristry at all levels at the local College. Currently my energy is focused primarily on the family business, helping to develop and move the business forward, more recently developing an e-commerce web site to make buying much easier for our customers."


I have entered and been successful in floristry competition in the past, but now get more pleasure encouraging the younger members of staff to succeed.
Our shop won the national competition of “Retail Florist of the Year” in 1996 out of over 500 entrants. This was an incredible accolade and something we will be ever proud of.
"We have had the great privilege of creating flowers for the Queen twice! The first time was in July 2002 when she was visiting Beverley. We created two separate presentation bouquets and flowers for the tables where she and the Duke had lunch. In March this year a bouquet presented to her on her arrival to the local City of Hull was created by us.

What do I enjoy most about being a florist is the diversity of it, the challenge of being creative and providing flowers for people at the most important and memorable times of their life. Making people smile is a wonderful reward."

Karen- I feel so fortunate to have had this opportunity to share your story with my blog readers!
Thank you so much-

You can find Glenholme Florist on the web at www.glenholmeflorists.co.uk
and you can follow Karen on twitter @GlamFlowers

3 comments:

  1. Lovely flowers! Wish someone also send me like that. Anyway, I've been looking for topics as interesting as this. Looking forward to your next post.

    -pia-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That must have been really great! I am a florist too and creating a flower arrangement for a queen was really the best experience I could have. Congratulations on that! More power to you!


    China florist

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for The Tips and hints.Looking for
    Quick Flower delivery at home in anywhere in Yorkshire Yorkshire Florists

    ReplyDelete